puffers & vics

 

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

 

Pibroch (2)

 

Builder Scotts, Bowling
Official Nr 300178
Yard Nr 415
Launched 4/12/1956
Delivered 1957
Length 87 ft
Beam 20 ft
Gross 157 tons
Deadweight  
Engine B.Polar diesel 270bhp

Built for Scottish Malt Distillers to transport grain to the company's distilleries on the Isle of Islay, and for the carriage of cask whisky back to the mainland for bottling.  With the arrival of large RoRo ferries on the island routes her use became uneconomic and she was withdrawn from use by SMD

She was sold to Glenlight Shipping in 1976 and served as a supply vessel for the US Navy submarine base on the Holy Loch from 1979, replacing Anzac in that role.. 

Sold to J A Hawco of Glasgow in 1990 and later moved to Letterfrack in 2002 by new owners, Bogaert Marine, with a promise that they would restore her ! She lay derelict at Letter frack until 2010 when she was reported to have been broken up.

 

 

 

The photograph below is from the Dan McDonald collection courtesy of the Ballast Trust and is reproduced under a Creative Commons license 

at Letterfrack, Co. Galway in 2009

photograph courtesy of Wikipedia under a Creative Commons license