puffers & vics

 

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

 

Kelpie

 

Builder T Wingate, Whiteinch
Official Nr 62076
Yard Nr  116
Launched 1868
Delivered  
Length 66 ft
Beam 14.7 ft
Gross 45 tons
Nett 30 tons
Engine 10hp non-condensing

Built for Samuel Fyfe Nicol of Greenock, Kelpie was one of the first puffers specifically built for coastal service. Her and her sisters' hulls had taken on more of the shape of the gabbarts than the scows, with a more pronounced sheer.

She foundered off Greenock on  21 February 1885 but was salvaged and came into the ownership of Clarkson & Beckitt of Maryhill that same year. In 1890 she was being managed by John S Munro for Munro & McKean of Glasgow and by 1915 she had moved across the North Channel to James Shiels of Sand Quay, Belfast. Broken up in 1919.

 

 

A contemporary drawing of the Kelpie from around 1870