Built for J J Hay. Clydebuilt records her as having been built by Hay themselves but Hay didn't start building steam lighters until 1879/80 and so this is questionable, unless she was originally unpowered..
On 23 July 1877 under the command of her master, J. Steel, she left Greenock bound for Campbeltown with a cargo of coal. At around 9 pm her hatch cover burst in heavy seas causing her to flood and sink some 2 miles NE of Davaar Island near the entrance to Campbeltown Loch. All of her crew were saved.