puffers & vics

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Vulcan (1)

 

Builder Swan  Kelvin Dock
Yard Nr
Launched 1865
Delivered
Length 65.1 ft
Beam 15.3 ft
Gross 43 tons
Nett 29 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound

Her first owners are unknown but she became the property of James McKirdy of Greenock in 1879 before sinking in the Forth of Forth on 18th June 1880.

She later passed into the ownership of John Smith of Tradeston and then to private owners on the Humber, Aire & Calder Navigation.

In 1950 she was converted into a dredger for use in Goole Docks. She was then owned for a time by the Btitish Waterways Board until being purchased by her present owner, MIke Abson, on 1980 and converted into a canal and river cruiser. She is still in active use in the Humber area and is on the National Register of Historic Ships as the oldest Clyde-built ship still in regular service..

Photograph courtesy of George Robinson