puffers & vics

 

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 

 

VIC 18      Spartan (2)        

 

Builder J Hay, Kirkintilloch
Official Nr 168712
Yard Nr 60
Launched  / /1942
Delivered 3/42
Length 66.8 ft
Beam 18.4 ft
Gross 96 tons
Deadweight 140 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound
GOVERNMENT SERVICE
In Naval service until July 1946 when she was laid up
CIVIL USE

In July 1946 she was transferred to J Hay & Sons as a replacement for their puffer "Spartan" which had blown up and sunk off the Isle of Lismore on 31st May 1946 while on charter to the government.

VIC18 was renamed Spartan. In 1961 she was converted from coal to oil burning  and she remained in the puffer trade until 1980.  In April 1982 she was handed over by her then owners, Glenlight Shipping,  to the West of Scotland Boat Museum Association.

Spartan is now on display at the Scottish Maritime Museum at Irvine in Ayrshire. She is of particular historic importance as the last surviving vessel still afloat which was built on the Forth and Clyde Canal.

The photographs below show (left) Spartan at Dunoon in August 1960 prior to her rebuild and being fitted with a diesel engine. On the right she is seen at Greenock in March 1978 after conversion.              Both photographs are Copyright Mike Ridgard