puffers & vics

 

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 

 

VIC 14        Storford

 

Builder Pimblott, Northwich
Official Nr 168835
Yard Nr 646
Launched 8/1942
Delivered 9/1942
Length 66.8 ft
Beam 18.4 ft
Gross 96 tons
Deadweight 140 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound
GOVERNMENT SERVICE

From launch VIC14 was fitted out as a mobile workshop and appears to have served in this capacity with the Royal Navy until March 1947, when she transferred to the Admiralty at Greenock.

CIVIL USE

In 1961 she was purchased by J Palmer & Sons Ltd of Gravesend in Kent, England, who renamed her "Storford". They lengthened her and converted her to diesel. She worked with them victualing vessels in the Thames until around 1979 when she was sold on to an M Murray of Sittingbourne in Kent for work in the sand dredging business.

In 1988 her engine was removed and later the same year her hull was scrapped at Queensborough, Kent.

The photograph below shows her on the River Colne in March 1988 apparently under her own power and so presumably before her engine was removed.  Note that the diesel conversion, unlike those applied to the VICs which went to the Clyde, makes her very barge-like in appearance.

 

Photograph courtesy of and Copyright Alan Jenner