Built for John and Charles Robertson of Grangemouth at the
eastern end of the Forth and Clyde Canal. It is therefore
probably fair to assume that Sapphire was at least some of the
time engaged in the canal trade and therefore qualifies for
She moved to Kirkcaldy-based
owner John Strachan in 1874 with whom she remained until her
registry was closed in 1918.
During her time with
Strachan it is on record that on 24th April 1880 at 2.59pm she
sank at her berth in Leith Docks after being holed below the
waterline by a tree trunk. She was raised and the record of
this incident ends with the statement of April 26th that she
is in drydock for repairs.