puffers & vics

 HOME    PUFFERS     VICS      BUILDERS     OWNERS    ENGINES    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

 

Ross & Marshall Ltd

Ross & Marshall, shipowners, was founded in 1872 by Alexander Ross and James Marshall in Greenock, Inverclyde, Scotland, though the amalgamation of their own businesses. Ross had acted as a coal merchant and lighter owner at Dock Breast, Greenock, while Marshall ran the Clyde Stevedoring Company. Ross & Marshall continued the original interests of the two partners, and expanded its business by entering the coasting trade to the Western Isles and Northern Ireland. It also became involved in salvage operations, and was associated with the British Marine Salvage Co Ltd, Glasgow, Scotland.

When the company moved to 28 Main Street, Greenock, it erected a slip and engine shop at Cartsdyke harbour, to build and maintain its own vessels. R Chambers & Co, a boat building company which had the adjoining slip, were acquired at a later date, and the facilities were used to slip and charter the company's five yachts.

Ross & Marshall also held a coaling and water supply contract to the Admiralty, holding in store some 4,000 tons of Welsh coal for the purpose. Private vessels were also supplied.

Ross & Marshall Ltd was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1907 to acquire the business of the original Ross & Marshall partnership. In 1965, the company acquired the Irvine Shipping & Trading Co Ltd, Irvine, North Ayrshire and 1969, the company entered into an agreement with Hay Hamilton Ltd, shipowners, to form a new subsidiary company, Glenlight Shipping Ltd, who would operate their respective vessels. The Clyde Shipping Co Ltd, ship owners and shipping agents of Glasgow acquired the company and Glenlight Shipping Ltd was transferred to become a subsidiary of Clyde Shipping Co Ltd. Ross & Marshall Ltd was dissolved in 1999

The photograph below shows three of Ross & Marchall's vessels, ex VIC82 Sir James, Raylight and the former VIC26 Polarlight, in the sea lock of the Crinan Canal at Crinan.