puffers & vics

 

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 

 

Ossian    

 

Builder Swan Kelvin Dock
Official Nr 72408
Yard Nr  
Launched 1876
Delivered  
Length 65.8 ft
Beam 17.6 ft
Gross 63 tons
Nett 42 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound

Built for James Ross of Greenock and by 1896 owned by James Lush of Greenock.

There are two "wreck" reports for the"Ossian" in the Canmore database at RCHAMS.

The first records that, laden with a cargo of iron pipes, she stranded on the rocks at the entrance to Ballantrae Harbour and broke up on 22 December 1887. She was salvaged.

The second is dated 8th April 1897 and it records her foundering in Loch Linnhe about 4 miles below Ardsheil.