puffers & vics

 

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 

 

Nellie        Staffa

 

Builder McGill & Gilmour, Irvine
Official Nr 99838
Yard Nr 14
Launched 1892
Delivered  
Length 80 ft
Beam 19.1 ft
Gross 90tons
Nett 35 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound

Built for Rafferty & McKinney of Glasgow and subsequently passed through the hands of numerous owners, and is first shown as in the ownership of David MacBrayne in 1910, when her name was changed to "Staffa".

Her 1920 MNL entry shows her now owned by Francis Reid of Ardrossan.  In 1925 her registration moved to Ramsey, Isle of Man, in the ownership of John B Key of Ramsey.

In 1939 she was bought by J B Le Page & Co of Guernsey and was wrecked on 12th March 1942 after breaking from her moorings in Bray Harbour, Alderney.

The postcard below shows her at Neptune's Staricase, Banavie, on the Caledonian Canal in 1924

 

 

photograph courtesy of the Graham Lappin collection