puffers & vics

 

 HOME    VESSELS    BUILDERS     OWNERS    ENGINES    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

 

Peter McGregor & Sons, Kirkintilloch

 

 For nineteen years MacGregor were the other major builder alongside J & J Hay on the Forth and Clyde Canal at Kirkintilloch and between 1902 until 1921 built some 118 vessels. These included not only the steam lighters of interest to us here, but also ferries, tugs and pinnaces, Many of these were destined for distant shores, to buyers in Chile, France, Egypt, India and Russia.

They pioneered the building of steamships longer than could transit the canal locks by constructing the bow as a separate section. This was then carried down to Bowling  in the hold of the newly launched vessel which would be hauled up on to a slip at Scotts and the bow rivited on by a team of MacGregor's men.