Founded by brothers Anthony & John Inglis in
1848 as an engineering company, they acquired the shipbuilding yard
of Thomas B Sneath at Pointhouse in 1862. Pointhouse is
located at the confluence of the rivers Kelvin and the Clyde
adjacent to Glasgow's new Riverside Museum. In 1884 Anthony
Inglis died and his son John Inglis took over. Inglis probably only
built one "puffer", the "Dunlop
" of 1866.
Perhaps nowadays their most
famous ship is the 1946 built the paddle steamer "Waverley", which in
2012 is the last sea-going paddle steamer anywhere on the world.