puffers & vics

 HOME    PUFFERS     VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS    ENGINES    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

 

Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd.

Originally established in the 19th century as T. Scott & Co Ltd, the shipyard on the Dutch River at Goole was taken over in 1902 by the Craggs family and renamed Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd.  They moved their yard to a new site on the river in 1917. In financial difficulties during the recession of the 1920s the company nevertheless survived as an independent entity until it was taken over by Swan Hunter in 1967. As such, it was nationalised in 1978 when it was renamed Goole Shipbuilders Ltd. 

During the war years it built a number of vessels under contract from the Ministry of War Transport including, of interest to us here, five of the "standard" 66 foot VICs.

It's final years saw it closed temporarily in 1984 before being rescued by Cochrane Shipbuilders of Selby (not far up the River Ouse from Goole). It resumed building but launched its last vessel, the tug "Lady Sybil" in January 1988 before closing for good.