puffers & vics

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 

Goliath

 

Builder Burrell, Hamiltonhill
Official Nr 80468
Yard Nr
Launched 1878
Delivered
Length 64.5 ft
Beam 17.1ft
Gross 51 tons
Nett 38 tons
Engine 1 Cyl Steam compound

Built for their own account and operated by Burrell & Co.until 1886 when she was purchased by Sir William Arrol of Glasgow to work on the construction of the Forth Bridge.

In 1890 she was bought by William Taylor of Grangemouth, and then in 1891 by Peter McGregor of Kirkintilloch on the Forth and Clyde Canal. In 1902 she was purchased by Geo, John and James Speed of Newburgh, Fife before in c 1920 moving to Cornwall when bought by The Fowey Coaling & Ship Repair Co,, before being scrapped in 1927

The photograph below is captioned that she is on the River Tay but is undated.

Photograph courtesy of the Graham Lappin collection