puffers & vics

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 

Garmoyle    North Inch    Stronshira     Arran Rose   

 

Builder Denny Dumbarton
Official Nr 119163
Yard Nr 735
Launched 1904
Delivered
Length 66.5 ft
Beam 18.3 ft
Gross 100 tons
Nett 30 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound 20 nhp

Built in 1904 for an A M Leslie of Glasgow, and in 1908 she moved to the Forth of Forth under the ownership of Henry & MacGregor of Leith.

In 1919 she passed on to the Dundee Perth & London Shipping Co, and re-named "North Inch", she carried cargo on the River Tay between Perth and, principally, the Port of Dundee but also to Montrose and as far afield as Berwick Upon Tweed.

In 1922 she came back to the Clyde as "Stronshira" under the ownership of a Colin McPhail, for whom she worked for the next 24 years, although from 1933 she was officially in the ownership of the Shira Steamship Co Ltd of Glasgow. 

Acquired in 1946 by Arran Sea Transport she was renamed yet again, this time "Arran Rose". She then spent the next four years carrying bulk cargoes between the Ayrshire mainland and the Isle of Arran villages. She did though venture further afield on occasion as on 21st February 1948 she ran aground in Carnlough Harbour, Northern Ireland, and in May of the same year was towed back to Ardrossan for repairs

Her final move was back to the Forth again when she was bought by J.A.White of North Queensferry in 1950.

She was eventually broken up at St David's on the Forth in 1960.

 

The photograph below shows her as "Arran Rose".

The photograph below is from the Dan McDonald collection courtesy of the Ballast Trust and is reproduced under a Creative Commons license