Built by Hay for their own operation. Len
Patterson tells that Hay's records show that in 1899
while on passage from Wemyss Bay to Greenock her tail shaft
broke and she completed the voyage under sail.
Seven years later in 1906 she
grounded at Port Ellen on Islay. Declared a total ;loss by the
underwriters, she was nevertheless salvaged and returned to Kirkintilloch where
she was extensively rebuilt and returned to service.
In February 1927 while on passage
light from Glasgow to Kinlochleven she encountered heavy
weather and sought shelter, anchoring in the Sound of
Jura. Contemporary accounts state that she dragged her anchor
and ended up in a field twenty feet above the high water mark,
narrowly missing submerged rocks on the way. Her crew all managed to
get a shore safely and were reported to have been
hospitably accommodated by one of the island crofters.
In 1929 she was registered at Troon as Elim under the
ownership of Alexander
At 01.30 on 8th of May 1932 while under the command of
Captain William Young, she was stranded in fog at
Cleats Point on the Isle of Arran, some 4
miles from the Pladda Lighthouse. Her crew of 3 were saved. She had
been bound light from Carradale on the Kintyre Peninsula to
Troon. Sadly this third wrecking proved to be the end of
her somewhat charmed life.
below shows her tied up alongside the "Rosie", a puffer about
which no information whatsoever is to