Basuto was built for Wm Jacks of Glasgow and in 1908 was
sold by his executors to a partnership of K Law, R
Hetherington and H A Wilson of Glasgow.
In 1917 she was purchased by John Kelly Ltd of Ireland and
employed until 1919 on their admiralty contract there.
In 1919 she was sold to Steel & Bennie Ltd of
Glasgow and a year later on to W H Bowater of Liverpool.
In 1921 she moved into the ownership of
W.Cooper & Sons of Widnes who operated her as a
barge. In 1928 she was acquired by the Manchester
Drydocks Co who eventually re-engined her in 1961, still coal
burning though. In 1972 her new owners were re-named
Manchester Marine Ltd.
In 1979 she was sold yo Empirewise Ltd of Liverpool and
since 1981 she has been preserved at Ellesmere Port, where she
is shown in the photograph