puffers & vics

 

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 

 

Ailsa      Headlight 

 

Builder Denny  Dumbarton
Official Nr 119159
Yard Nr 736
Launched 1904
Delivered 1904
Length 66.5 ft
Beam 18.3 ft
Gross 100 tons
Nett 30 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound

Built for owner Andrew Leslie of Glasgow, Ailsa was sold to A F Henry and J MacGregor of Leith in 1908 (along with the Garmoyle) and she plied east coast ports as far south as Berwick upon Tweed . In 1920 she was bought by Light Shipping Company of Greenock and was renamed "Headlight" before coming under the Ross & Marshall banner in 1921. On 21st August 1937 she stranded on Ardmore Point, Isle of Mull while laden with a cargo of coal. She was refoated and later broken up at Bowling in 1939 by J Hunter Jnr.